ONE DAY TO GO!
Dear Family and Friends,
Tomorrow will be my final day of biking across the United States. I plan three more posts: 1) Today’s (8/16) commentary and photos will be posted in the next several days, 2) Tomorrow’s final day commentary and photos posted in the next several days and 3) A final post with my thoughts about the entire tour as well as my favorite photos posted after I return from my vacation with Nancy on August 26th.
It has been a wonderful experience. I’ll have much more to say later. Hope you have enjoyed my blog so far.
August 15th: White River Junction, VT to Lincoln, NH
August 15th Statistics: White River Junction, VT to Lincoln, NH
- Today’s Biking Distance – 63.2 miles
- Today’s Average Speed – 13.0 mph
- Today’s Time In Saddle – 4.9 hours
- Today Ascent – 3,548 feet
- Total Trip Biking Days – 52
- Total Trip Biking Distance – 3,955.5 miles
- Total Trip Average Biking Distance/Day – 76.1 miles
- Total Trip Ascent – 107,448 feet
Beautiful scenery, overcast weather, long climb, long downhill. Hard to believe that I only have two more days of riding after today and I touch the Atlantic Ocean and kiss my wife (not necessarily in that order).
August 14th: Middlebury to White River Junction, VT
August 14th Statistics: Middlebury to White River Junction, VT
- Today’s Biking Distance – 71.8 miles
- Today’s Average Speed – 13.3 mph
- Today’s Time In Saddle – 5.4 hours
- Today Ascent – 3,605 feet
- Total Trip Biking Days – 51
- Total Trip Biking Distance – 3,892.3 miles
- Total Trip Average Biking Distance/Day – 76.3 miles
- Total Trip Ascent – 103,900 feet
The climb from Middlebury to Middlebury Gap may have been the most difficult climb of the entire trip. It was not the elevation gain (about 1,600 feet), but the grade (several miles at 11% to 14%) and road surface (new rough pavement). Glad it came at the end of the trip.
A highlight of the ride was traveling through the campus of the Bread Load School of English (see photos) where Robert Frost taught. The scenery was beautiful for the entire route today, but did include some heavily travels roads.