July 24th: Dyersville to Muscatine, IA
July 24th Statistics – Dyersville to Muscatine, IA:
- Today’s Biking Distance – 88.8 miles
- Today’s Average Speed – 15.2 mph
- Today’s Time In Saddle – 5.8 hours
- Today Ascent – 2,818 feet
- Total Trip Biking Days – 32
- Total Trip Biking Distance – 2,476.5 miles
- Total Trip Average Biking Distance/Day – 77.4 miles
- Total Trip Ascent – 73,483 feet
Started biking at 6:30 am to avoid the high temperatures forecasted for the late afternoon in Iowa. It was a long ride (89 miles) even though we cut out 9 miles from the normal route by taking an alternative route. Even though it was hot and long, today I felt particularly energetic (and for the first time started regularly using my cleats to pull up on the pedals which gave me a real boost) and after keeping up with a couple of the other riders, I actually passed them at one point and stayed ahead for many miles.
An interesting note – It has been clear for many days that Iowa is a battleground state for the presidential election. The number of political TV ads (most of which are negative) has been overwhelming as we reached the broadcast area for Iowa (including TV stations in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois that border Iowa).