July 10th: Rugby to Devils Lake, ND
Scene along Route 3.
July 10th Statistics – Rugby to Devils Lake, ND:
- Today’s Biking Distance – 84.3 miles
- Today’s Average Speed – 12.8 mph
- Today’s Time In Saddle – 6.6 hours
- Today Ascent – 1,247 feet
- Total Trip Biking Days – 20
- Total Trip Biking Distance – 1,562.6 miles
- Total Trip Average Biking Distance/Day – 78.1 miles
- Total Trip Ascent – 51,281 feet
A long and hot ride with headwinds. Beautiful scenery with good road surfaces. A highlight of the day was dinner – The Ranch – outstanding. I had filet mignon Sinatra style (port wine reduction and blue cheese crushed). Robert ordered a baked potato and was delivered a 9 inch, 1.5 pound record breaker – none of us have ever seen a larger one. You could have ordered a bottle of Opus One if so inclined.
Mile 15: Robert biking on Route 3 in the early morning.
Mile 23: View along Route 3 of ranch with Girard Lake in background.
Mile 25: Heartland Bison Ranch on Lake Girard – bison herd in background.
Mile 27: Typical view of central North Dakota.
Mile 33: Cattle cooling off in the muck.
Mile 49: View west along Route 19 in North Dakota.
- Mile 49: View east on Route 19 in North Dakota.
Mile 64: Minnewaukan, ND which is on the shores of Devils Lake and where my friend Ellen’s father was born.
Mile 65: Our lunch stop in Minnewaukan. At the same counter I could order a hamburger cooked in a toaster oven or buy 1 pound of leeches.
Mile 73: Scene on Devils Lake which has doubled in size since 1993 and flooded roads and homes.
Mile 78: View of typical marsh bordering Devils Lake.
Fireside Inn and Suites Interior – Lodging in Devils Lake, ND.